The Peterborough and District Labour Council annually presents a cheque and a copy of the book Standing Strong, Facing Forward (The history of the labour movement in Peterborough and District) to one student from each of the five secondary schools in Peterborough. The individual schools select the recipient.
Peterborough & District Labour Council Scholarship
Purpose: To identify a high school graduate who demonstrates an appreciation of the role of labour and provide them with monetary assistance to attend either Fleming College or Trent University. Selection will be made from a pool of applicants to receive a scholarship in the amount of $500.00 to support them as they enter their first year of full-time post-secondary studies. The scholarship will be awarded in honour of distinguished trade union activists who have made a significant contribution to the life and growth of the labour movement in Peterborough County.
Eligible candidates must
• Be a member, or the dependent of a member, of a union local that is affiliated in good standing with the PDLC
• Be enrolled to enter their first year of full-time studies, leading to a diploma, degree, or certificate from Fleming College or Trent University, either immediately after graduation or be a previous high school graduate that has never attended college
• NOT be fully funded for tuition, fees, and books from other sources
• Not have any prior post-secondary studies
• Be a current resident of Peterborough County
The criteria for selection of the bursary winner will be based on
• A brief résumé outlining non-academic interests and activities, such as community or political involvement as well as goals for the future
• Evidence of understanding of the role and significance of the Canadian labour movement
• A reference letter
• Proof of enrolment
For more information, email email@example.com